Sunday 12 April 2020

Pass me the samosa!


See What Could Happen When You Order Samosa at a 5-Star Hotel ...

There is so much of information regarding health, fitness and food that sometimes its overwhelming. I am about to bite into the crispy, spicy samosa and up pops the bowl of berries on my computer screen which will ensure that my waist is 26 inches and I look like a teenager. After all that bowl is the elixir of life and what I have in my hands is a nuclear bomb which will split me open.
Every second person on my friend list has become a nutrition expert. So I get free advice on what should sit on my plate and what should be kicked out. As per them half my plate should have nature's bounty in all its glory. Salad sprinkled with salt, pepper and a dash of lemon. The other half should have a quartered roti and a bowl of yoghurt. Well I bravely munch down the salad and later will chew the cud. How I wish there was a direct path to my stomach so that my taste buds could be spared. That quarter roti barely manages to go past my mouth, half of it is lost in transport. What finally reaches my stomach is sheer anguish, the cry of my taste buds who question their very existence.
My pocket is also not very happy with the directives. Chia seeds, colourful peppers, goji berries, blueberries, quinoa, cous cous all demand that I deepen my pockets so as to decrease the number on the 'inchi-tape'.
Exercise routine which my friend suggested is pilates. So I research and pick out videos only to find that its a close cousin of our humble desi yoga. But since its 'phoren-return' it must be better. Zumba is good at least I get to dance on bollywood numbers with all the latka-jhatkas. There is something called T-rex too. It sounds more like an extinct dinosaur waiting to be resurrected.
The flood of information is so much that I take a step back, close all the windows on nutrition and food on the google search engine and take stock of my situation. I feel happy when I bite into the samosa and its age old taste sits pretty on  my tongue. I feel elated when that ice cream melts slowly in my mouth, that dollop of ghee floats on my dal. A slow leisurely walk in the park, some asanas in the morning, a good game of badminton, or a happy jog on the footpath is enough to let the endorphins flowing. Why have we complicated health and fitness so much? Its a simple exercise in harmonising the mind, soul and body. Thats it. Living well, being conscious of everyday acts whether eating or exercising is enough.
So finally a thumbs up for all the enterprising friends as I go on a guiltfree trip and bite gingerly into the crispy crust of the aloo wala samosa. Once in a while its good to let go and be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment